Over the past few days at work, time has come to a standstill for me. So, primarily to entertain myself but also to answer questions, I am giving a few reasons as to why we are joining the Peace Corps. And I am also relaying some of our 'peoples' reactions to our upcoming departure.
A few reasons why we decided to join the Peace Corps:
- Unique Experience - We wanted to do something a little different in our lives before we settle down. The Peace Corps gives us an experience like no other. We looked into other options such as volunteering internationally with non-profits, but from a cost-effective, safe, and career aspect, the Peace Corps offers an experience that is above and beyond any other organization we found.
- Mission - no, we don't expect to change the world or even our community, but taking time out of our lives to aid a community less fortunate than our own will benefit everyone in some way - right?
- Adventure - As PCV's we will have ample opportunities for adventure - not sure this one needs any explanation!
- Perspective - Living in a small rural community in West Africa is sure to change our perspective on food, needs, business, community, international development, and...life.
- Language - Relating to someone in a different language is supposed to be a wonderful experience. And, who doesn't want to be fluent in an obscure African dialect?
We also received quite a variety of reactions with our decision to move to The Gambia. Here is a good sample of them:
- Zambia? No, Gambia. Oh, okay, is that still in Africa?
- Oh Gambia...wait, what's A Gambia?
- You know those people only listen to one thing right? Guns.
- OK, a guy at our table has been to the Gambia. We have confirmation that it exists!
- I thought you believed in capitalism not digging ditches in Africa.
- The Gambia? Oh that's fabulous; they'll have a great time!
- NO, you're moving?! To AFRICA?! Oh my lord, ya'll are crazy.
- Thank you for your service to our country; it is a very noble cause.
(And the reaction that caused the blog title....)
- Wait..Africa?! I thought you were joking!